The East End is the lower portion of what New York state and the city recognize as a single historic district along with Montgomery, Grand and Liberty Streets.
The Montgomery Grand Liberty Streets was the first of two to be designated in the city. It runs along the north-south streets in the northeast quadrant of the city and includes 250 buildings in its 1,010 acres (4.1 km2). Much of the district's historical character comes from its historic homes built by industrialists to take advantage the Hudson River views available from the neighborhood.
The Newburgh Historic Districts include much of the southeastern quarter of the city
Most of the East End buildings were constructed during the height of industrial development in the 19th century, as opposed to the villas and mansions in the Montgomery Grand Liberty district. They housed many of the city's working-class population and the small businesses that served them.
The East End District rises gently from the riverside area to mildly rolling higher ground and is roughly bounded by Robinson Avenue to the west, Water Street and Bay View Terrace on the east, Monument and Renwick streets to the south and LeRoy Place and Broadway to the north. This area of Newburgh, combined with the other district, represents the core of the settled city by the end of the 19th century.
Industrial properties are concentrated closer to the river, while the higher neighborhoods are mostly residential, with some institutional buildings such as schools and churches. There are a few commercial areas, most notably along Liberty Street opposite Washington's Headquarters. The two districts include 4,000 properties, the most of any historic district in New York. The 2,239 in the East End alone are the most of any federally recognized district in the state.
Architecture much of the district is characterized by two- or three-story brick Italianate style townhomes. In Washington Heights, where there are views of the river, there are Victorian style houses.
The houses on and near Parmenter Street, one block west of Washington's Headquarters, are the only part of Newburgh that still reflects the village character of the settlement from the turn of the 19th century.
The Oldest Property in the district and the city, Jonathan Hasbrouck's 1750 stone house, was George Washington's residence during the years between the Yorktown surrender and final withdrawal from the American colonies in 1783.
The New York State Armory on Broadway had been vacant for decades; t now houses the Orange County Social Services operations in the city.
Destinations Itineraries and Travel Services with Knowledge Tourism
in the Newburgh New York Historic Districts